3 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. 4 For just as we have many parts in one body and all [f]the body’s parts do not have the same function, 5 so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually parts of one another. 6 However, since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to use them properly: if prophecy, [g]in proportion to one’s faith; 7 if [h]service, in the act of serving; or the one who teaches, in the act of teaching; 8 or the one who [i]exhorts, in the work of [j]exhortation; the one who gives, with [k]generosity; the one who [l]is in leadership, with diligence; the one who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
9 [m]Love must be free of hypocrisy. Detest what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; [n]give preference to one another in honor, 11 not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; 12 rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, 13 contributing to the needs of the [o]saints, [p]practicing hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute [q]you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be [r]haughty in mind, but [s]associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. 17 Never repay evil for evil to anyone. [t]Respect what is right in the sight of all people. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all people. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but [u]leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written: “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 “But if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- Romans 12:1 Or pleasing
- Romans 12:1 I.e., in contrast to offering a literal sacrifice
- Romans 12:2 Or age
- Romans 12:2 Or discover
- Romans 12:2 Or pleasing
- Romans 12:4 Lit the parts
- Romans 12:6 Or in agreement with the faith
- Romans 12:7 Or office of service
- Romans 12:8 Or encourages
- Romans 12:8 Or encouragement
- Romans 12:8 Or sincere concern
- Romans 12:8 Or provides care
- Romans 12:9 Or Love has no
- Romans 12:10 Or outdo one another in showing honor
- Romans 12:13 Lit holy ones; i.e., God’s people
- Romans 12:13 Lit pursuing
- Romans 12:14 Two early mss do not contain you
- Romans 12:16 Or arrogant
- Romans 12:16 Or accommodate yourself to lowly things
- Romans 12:17 Lit Take thought for
- Romans 12:19 Lit give a place